Google

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Wesak Reflections

The past weekend has been tiring due to illness (cough, fever, etc) and a ton of work that required me back at the office (even though it's a holiday weekend).

I strive each year to at least drop by a Buddhist temple during Wesak and managed to sneak in some time to offer prayers at Wat Chetawan last evening. It's the least I can do to take a step back, breath and reflect on my recent life, my current situation and my future - at least that's what I try to do when I toll the bells and drop coins into the alms bowls at the temple.

There were a couple of things that irked me though - inconsiderate temple-goers that parked haphazardly in front of nearby residents' houses and even blocking a church gate (the temple staff had to PA several announcements to politely tell these jokers to move). Not that there was any lack of parking! Walk a bit more lah cibai!

Then, when I was waiting in line to slot in the coins at the line of Buddha statues, a few kids were pushing donors aside in some sort of stupid race. Only after I yelled, "WAIT! What the hell?!" that their parents chastised them.

*Shakes head* why must something like this happen on such a holy day? Sigh...

Labels: , ,